Menu Home

The EAT CLEAN DIET STORY!

It has been abit over 2.75 years since my weight loss journey began, with the last 10 months being pure dedication, sacrifice and commitment. I have entered myself into two challenges. One being “Off the Couch”which I have finished and waiting the results, as well as “2010 Eat-Clean Body Transformation Challenge” These are through Oxygen Magazine and Tosca Reno.I have learned a “challenge” is just that but, also needs to be a lifestyle change. Your heart and Soul needs to be in it to be successful.

012C2F18-C7F0-4873-B9DC-75C2980375C6.jpeg

It hasn’t been easy. Much work and time has gone into meal preparation, workouts (time at the gym), juggling of time, schedules etc. Also, having one small child still at home and one in S.K. keeps me busy. I don’t think I have sat for 1 hour to watch TV all year…honestly.

I have watched myself drastically change over the months, starting at 40% BodyFat and pushing 200 pounds. Right now 130 pounds and 15% Bodyfat.I have experienced huge results and dozens of inches lost off my frame. Gone through size after size of clothing, having to purchase clothes from the size 15..(18 at one time) to a size 4. I have learned the smaller you get , the harder it becomes to loose. Every thing you put on your plate matters, the sleep you get matters, every time you walk into the gym and the time you put in matters. Much sweat, pain and determination has gone into my life, and it has been illuminating.

My nutrition has been remarkable. From clean treats, to homemade clean meals. I gave up many of my staple items for this challenge and it has paid off. I have no longer a feeling of fatigue, mood swings and sugar cravings. I am happier and feel healthier in everyway. Many people have questioned my incentive for this change in lifestyle, some woman have been mean, rude and plain right insulting. So I am going to open my can of worms to let some insite in to why I am so passionate, and determined to achieve a lifestyle hats active and healthy through exercise and clean foods.

Growing up with divorced parents, then into foster care due to an unhappy living environment lead to smoking, partying, drug use, fast food and a poor self esteem. When my mother took her life, I became the heaviest I had ever been. Size 18. I used food for comfort, cigarettes and alcohol to relive stress. My attitude about the world around me suffered for quite sometime. So, before I had children I already encountered a few of lifes major stresses. I did manage to loose some of the weight before my marriage and children but, ballooned back to 200 after the birth of both children.

My turning point was on the 30th birthday I was going out for dinner with my husband when, nothing in my closet fit. I had to go out and buy a big pair of jeans and felt embarrassed and not very attractive. I felt like I let myself down.I cried, I was devastated. I woke up the next morning and joined the gym. Battling the elements, I brought my 6 week old baby girl and 22 month old boy every morning to the gym , dropped them off in the daycare room so, I can have time to exercise. There we’re mornings I’d rather not go, I was tired from the busyness of being a mom, wife, housekeeper and a dog walker. Who was I? I was lost.

I went back to work and continued my visits to the gym, eating healthy and keeping stress to a minimum. It had been years since I gave up cigarettes and drugs we’re long gone from my life and alcohol was limited to wine here and there. I finally was seeing clear and focused. I had no excuse anymore. I overcame so many obstacles, and my self confidence was building. I was becoming a role model. I was positive and strong.

One day at the Library I discovered Tosca Reno’s Eat Clean Diet Cookbook and her 1st book she had ever wrote “The Eat Clean Diet” I brought them home and Tosca then opened my eyes to what I was missing out. She was the “match” that lit my fire. I began cooking clean, making clean meals, snacks and treats. I have achieved the impossible. I have became I true role model for my children, my family, friends and co-workers. I am in the best shape of my life, I am full of life, energy, stamina, and I am finally in control of my choices. I feel Amazing.

It has been a visualization of mine for 13 years to, have a body that is tight, toned, in shape and healthy. I am now going to give it everything I have to lose these last 5 pounds I would like to lose a total of 85 pounds of fat by the end of this journey. My challenge will end but, I will continue the passion and love I have found in fitness and nutrition. I am changing careers, going back to school to get a recreation diploma(just recieved my letter of acceptance for fall 2011 ) and the O.A.S. course through Can-Fit pro, which is a Older Adult Specialist Certification. This will allow me to switch from working on the floor as a Personal Support Worker to helping out the seniors I work with get more active. I hope to implement an exercise program geared to seniors in my nursing home I am employed with and be the one trained to do that with the O.A.S. course.

What I am hoping for, is to win this contest and tell my story in Oxygen Magazine as well as a Photo Shoot with a top photographer. This would be my dream come true. Thanks for reading my story! Update: I have lost it all! from 40% bodyfat to 10%. Done! Competed for the 1st time on May 28thwith the IDFA and recieved a 4th place medal in the Fitness Model Ctegory. Yeah!

5A9AA35A-8086-47A2-99BC-F3EC15F79F6F.jpegRate This Post
Did you enjoy this post? Log in or become a member to rate this post.

Comments & Responses
From: katvette about 6 months ago
WOW! You have really come a long way & I commend you! You have a lot to be proud of! What an inspiration to everyone here!!!! It’s so great that you are going to learn to help the seniors. I know you will touch & change a lot of lives! I’m very happy for you & all the acheivements you had made. Those last 9 will probably be the hardest to get rid of, but will also be the best! Congrats!!!
From: lcorvette about 6 months ago
WOW! What an inspirational story!! You look absolutely fabulous! I’ve been clean since December 1st and feel unbelievable! Thanks for the great post!
From: lapetitemort about 6 months ago
You are truly an inspiration! & totally motivational! What a transformation!! Please keep up the posting!! Thanks for the hope =) LPM
From: living the kind life about 6 months ago
Amazing story. You are truly a motivation! Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. I think that you should have your story in Oxygen because it likely resonates with many people. I’m looking forward to seeing you in Oxygen magazine and believe that your dream will come true. Keep up the hard work!
From: llythgoe about 6 months ago
What a awesome story. Good luck to you in winning one of the challenges. You are truly an inspiration.
From: Teesue39 about 6 months ago
What an amazing story and huge transformation, you have come a long way, you are truly an inspiration to all of us…………..Thanks for sharing your story….: )
From: Lizabeth about 6 months ago
Mitziyoung! A name I want to remember. Truly your life’s story is an inspiration to me. Thank-you for your courage to post it! I love that you work with seniors. I’m certifed through Healthways to teach senior group fitness classes and I love this population! So rewarding! Keep posting…I want to hear how the last 9 lbs. go!! ๐Ÿ™‚
From: wango about 6 months ago
You are the reason we are all here! Thank you for sharing ๐Ÿ™‚
From: pking about 6 months ago
you have done so great a true inspiration for us all to see how it can be done if we put our minds to work way to go good luck with the contest
From: sherica2 about 6 months ago
WOW great post & a tremendous motivation! Thank you for posting your story! Great job you look amazing!
From: andrea34 about 6 months ago
Amazingly inspirational story!!! Thank you and good luck on the rest of your journey!!
From: MaryMargaret about 6 months ago
Holy cow!!! Thank you for sharing your story!!!
From: reslml about 6 months ago
I LOVE your story. Good for you!!
From: kcouch about 6 months ago
luv your story!…..what a great job you have done:)….Keep up the hard work!
From: legalgrrl about 6 months ago
You are an inspiration! Thank you for sharing!
From: kittykat about 6 months ago
your amazing!
From: philagirl2 about 6 months ago
Truly inspiring! You look fantastic! Thanks for sharing, your story was just what I needed this morning!
From: deekon about 6 months ago
You are truly an inspiration!!! Thank you for sharing with us =o)
From: KAE402go about 6 months ago
Thank you so much for your sharing your story, it is a true inspiration and just what I needed to start the new year off. Best wishes on all your future endeavors.
From: Farmgir1 about 6 months ago
That is awesome. It is an inspirational story. I am sure you have already motivated many people.
From: mitziyoung about 6 months ago
Thanks Everyone…I feel like abit of weight has lifted….I don’t talk about it to often. It FELT GOOD!
From: daizygirl about 6 months ago
Wow! In my eyes you are already a winner. Your story is beyond inspirational it real and so filled with emotion and desire. Honestly WOW!!! Your story brought tears to my eyes. You have have come so far and I am so proud of your dedication, determination, and desire to be the best YOU! Way to go girl and I know you will get to your goal….those last 10 are stubborn but with your heart and determination you WILL get there! Thanks for sharing. ๐Ÿ™‚
From: jflo1912 about 6 months ago
You are a winner in every way, what I love most is that your kids will benefit so much from your hard work and it will be there “norm”. You have my vote!! Blessings! jen
From: kdkkhorsinaround@yahoo.com about 6 months ago
You look so great! I want to be where your at so bad. Did you ever think you would look as good as you do? I know that when I see someone that looks like you or imagine myself looking this good there is always some doubt that it is not possible. Seeing you gives me hope. Thank You!
From: runlkeagrl about 6 months ago
How amazing! I am rooting for you all the way to the “off the couch” magazine. You are such a great inspiration and role model. I pray that I will be as dedicated to my fitness as you have been to yours.
From: gonnadoitthistime about 6 months ago
Thank you for your post — it is a needed boost to help others (including me!!!! )
From: mmswindle about 6 months ago
Thank you for the motivation!
From: cardioqueen333 about 6 months ago
It takes a lot of courage to come clean about your story. I admire you for stepping up to the plate and pushing yourself to reach your goals. It takes a lot of hard work, sweat and tears to go through that kind of physical and emotional transformation. Best of luck to you on the last part of your journey. Congrats for busting your butt and looking fantastic!!! Thanks for sharing :))
From: lisakelly about 6 months ago
Thank you for posting such a wonderful story. I have been on the same journey for the last 2 years. Although in the last 2 years my father was diagnosed with cancer, I cared for him until the day he passed away, back in May of 2010. One month before my father passed away, my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. So caring for her and my father as well as having a 10, 3, and 2 year old, plus going back to school full time, I have spiraled out of control. I think I am only now suffering the effects of all the stress I went through in the last 6 months. The reason I say thank you is that you have given me hope, I have all the same wants and desires for myself and feel that it is now that I need to take control, I feel so proud of you and your accomplishments, I just hope that some day soon, within the next year, that I can post such an inspirational story as you have, all the best!
From: fab 50 about 6 months ago
wow…..I needed to read your story today if you can accomplish all that I can certainly get my act together for a healthier lifestyly
From: melonique2000 about 5 months ago
Truly an amazing and motivational story. You’ve come a long way and thank you for sharing your story. Congratulations on sticking to it. You look fantastic.
From: kathybernier about 5 months ago
Thank you for sharing your story. It made me cry. What a strong women you are. It is a way of life & you will continue to be successful. Bravo to you for figuring it out. your amazing!!!
From: naturalnat about 5 months ago
Your story is truly inspirational. I tip my hat to you and I wish you the absolute best!
From: christinaschulz about 5 months ago
You are what this whole process, this whole website, and Tosca’s mission is all about!! WOW!! I am so very inspired by what you’ve accomplished. You are going to change lives, my friend. You are!! Thank you for sharing.
From: jo_chicky about 5 months ago
I want you to win! By the way your body is AMAZING!
From: angierosed about 5 months ago
I loved your story, thank you so much for sharing. That is heartbreaking that you lost your mother because she took her own life! I’m so happy that you have found happiness and confidence. Great story!
From: asj2kkj about 5 months ago
Congratulations! You are right to be proud of yourself. Your story is definitely worthy of publication in Oxygen. You go girl!!!!
From: Roxie-Girl about 5 months ago
I’m truly impressed by your walking the walk and talking the talk. You ARE doing IT!!! I know it’s hard work to get the things we want in life, that is what probably hinders most of us, we aren’t fully prepared to give it all we got. I’m so inspired by you and want to thank you for opening up to us. It’s stories like these that make the pages of a magazine. Thank you for taking us on your journey.
From: kacoats about 5 months ago
Thank you for being so honest and congratulations!
From: tiffanymtmh about 4 months ago
I love your story. thank your for sharing! I think you are amazing and a HUGE inspiration. So very happy for you. Congrats!!!
From: photodiva about 4 months ago
Wonderful story, thanks for sharing your journey. What a great inspiration!
From: mnicholas about 4 months ago
look at how many people you have inspired. This gives me hope, what a generous gift, thank you!
From: monique about 4 months ago
WOW what an inspirational storey,you look amazing and your determination and perseverance are showing your hard work,congrats ,you are truly a role model,i wish you the best and hope you realize your dream,you really deserve it,hopefully i will read your storey again in oxygen mag.Thank you so much for sharing and giving us some renewed motivation.
From: CanchasinCowgirl about 4 months ago
WOW!!!!! Such an amazing story….you have so much to be proud of, I pulling for you and best of luck with the contest. You have ABSOULTELY given me inspriation to work harder and get out of the funk I have been in. You GO GIRL!!!! and keep it tight!!!
From: LiveToTheFullest about 4 months ago
Holy cow, girl! You look FABULOUS! Thanks so much for sharing your story… you have definitely inspired me to kick it up a notch!! Good luck to you with your challenges… I’d vote for you if I could ๐Ÿ™‚
From: jeepgirl about 4 months ago
Great job not only for your health and happiness but for now inspiring others. ๐Ÿ™‚
From: cnolt about 4 months ago
Truly incredible!!! Thank you soo much for sharing.
From: yesican2 about 4 months ago
incredibly amazing story! You are truly a HUGE inspiration to me and others striving for the same goal. You look great and you have worked hard to do it. Congrats on finding healthy and happy!!!
From: inkgoddess about 4 months ago
Fantastic!! Go you!!!!!! Wooohooo!
From: ecru about 3 months ago
Thank you for being so honest. And thank you for being an inspiration.
From: GreenBeanMachine about 3 months ago
So glad this got reposted!! Wow! How did I miss it the first time. Listen, this was better than an episode of The Biggest Loser as far as motivating me to get on the treadmill! I’m bookmarking this page and will return often, and for that, thank you! I need positive rolemodels and you’re on of em!
From: Mikesgirl about 3 months ago
Your story is a source of inspiration to many… Thanks for sharing and congratulations on the positive changes you’ve made in your life.
From: rilly about 3 months ago
Amazing, lady. Way to go!
From: rdeeanna about 3 months ago
You look fantastic! Great story, thanks for sharing. I hope you do well in your contests!
From: CHRYSSA about 3 months ago
wow!!!! really inspirational despite the difficulties you stood up and fought!
From: nursegirl621 about 3 months ago
Mitzi, your story is so inspiring and honest. Thank you for sharing the ups and downs. Best of luck to you. I’ll be watching for you on the cover! You deserve it ๐Ÿ™‚
From: margaretc about 3 months ago
What a great story. I am happy for you that you have met your goals and are doing so well. It is very inspiring to me to read these success stories.
From: dee_r about 2 months ago
Your story reminds me so much of myself. Thank you for posting this, you inspire me. I am still trying to transform myself back to well myself again ๐Ÿ™‚ Congrats Mitzi!
From: cfenut about 1 month ago
Amazing and real! I have no idea who you are – but I am sincerely proud of you!
From: crystaldreams712 about 1 month ago
What an amazing story! It is so wonderful all you have accomplished and overcome!
You must be a registered member to Comment. Log in or become a member to have your say.
Tags
ECD MAKEOVER CHALLENGE3rd ECD makeover Challenge3rd ECD Makeover Challenge
Search Tags
Photos Related to this Story
Making our most fattening dish..

Recent Stories
Moving past the Fat Loss Plateau–and Wedneday’s Tabata I have moved past my fat loss plateau.
1 hour ago | By phillinda
before i start help? I just read EC Recharged cover to cover and I must say I really really want to start eating clean. However I have been on Nutrisystem this summer and I was wondering how my body would deal with switching from preservative-laden diet food (on a calorie restricting diet) to all clean food (i.e. starting out at Cooler 1) and if I would gain back the weight I’ve lost (which I really don’t want to happen). I have two weddngs to attend in September and I wanna look AMAZING. Any advice on where to start out or info on if I’ll gain weight or not? Any help’s appreciated!!! ๐Ÿ™‚
1 hour ago | By aegehring
Taking Your Advice Feedback is always welcomed! My total calories yesterday was 1,580. My meals looked like this: B- almond milk, protein powder, 1/2 banana 3hrs – 4 egg whites, 15 grapes Lunch – 97% ground beef, 1/4 c brown rice, apple, 1.5 T natural organic peanut butter 3hrs – handful of almonds, 6 strawberries Dinner – shredded chicken breast, 1/4 c. brown rice, 1/4 c. pico de gallo (tomato, jalepeno pepper, onion, lime juice) post workout – protein drink I also added 25 minutes of water aerobics yesterday. I am going to incorporate more vegetables today. Any other feedback on food choices or modifications are welcomed. My husband leaves for 3 weeks of training (military) and I really want to be down by the time he comes back.
2 hours ago | By nailchic9
194 lbs -just getting started It starts TODAY: 1 – joining a gym today 2 – cleaning out my fridge and pantry 3 – husband has been advised 4 – meal planning and shopping tomorrow of clean foods! I am ready for a new me!
2 hours ago | By CharCam
Finally got past my plateau weight! I am on week 2 day 3….and I have lost 3.2 pounds (plus I have PMS weight right now)!!! I am very excited about that because since our move to Germany I have been unable to get lower than 134. I do everything, but it would never budge! Today (with PMS) I was 138.8…it made me give a little squeal of happiness because even with all of the stress and craziness going on, I have not once given into my old habits! I had my neighbor come over with 4 chocolate stuffed croissants and 2 apple turnovers yesterday. I told them about my eating clean and said I woudl take a little nibble and then they could enjoy the rest. I took 1/4 (actually a little less) total between the two things and then just had green tea….they actually ate the rest between the two of them! It really was just a little nibble. In the meantime, my youngest was having fit after fit all day long, not napping and just constantly in meltdown mode. My 6 year old (with the broken leg) was needing a lot yesterday, so I was trying to be there for him and keep him comfy, I really did not get much time to take a break. Even with my son being immobile and me being here with our 15 month old as well, my husband is still gone 14 hours a day! Usually this would have resulted in a stressful breakdown that woudl include reaching for chocolate or in this case, croissants! So proud that I am not tempted to give in and not even thinking about going off the deep end! I am so happy with the progress so far (10 days) and I know I can continue this lifestyle in order to live the life that makes me happy!! Hooray!!!!
5 hours ago | By groffsgirl
Holey Baloney! I wasn’t quite sure how to express my excitement through words so I guess this will explain how excited I am right now …. “OMG dvnjkfvn OMG vajirgohaeruvaibadfuivbadufibaeuirghaudhvaiusdhvaiousdhioadshjfioadsvhadsv afvaadsnjaidsvuajbdvjk AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! abd vjkabdvjkabdvkjc omomg omgo mg ogmogm ogmogm ogm ogm ogm gomomg omg omg omgom fvadfbvhadfbvaiuOMG fbvuiafvauifdbvauifbv AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! adjkvlabdsjklabsdfiahefuwhuadsvajkclvbadflvad” YES people!!!! I Just stepped on the scale and I’ve lost ANOTHER 3 pounds since my last measurements that were taken just over 1 week ago!!!! That’s me now at 149 pounds for the first time in my life!!!!!!!! Woopey Doopey Dooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! Hottie wifey here I come!!!!! I can’t wait to meet my hubs off that plane at the end of this year after his deployment is complete…he won’t be able to find me in the crowd cause he’s not going to recognize me!!! hehe!!! So what does 149 pounds mean?!?!? … Well It means I won’t quite reach my 138lb goal that I submitted and set for the deadline of the 3rd ECD makeover challenge, BUT I have gained lots of lean muscle and I just know i’m going to reach my body fat goal of 20%!!!! I was only 3% away the last time my trainer took my body fat!!! I’m in the “fitness” range right now but I will soon be in the “ATHLETIC” body fat range!!!! HOW WICKED IS THAT!! Considering I was the fat kid all my life, and now i’m considered “fit”, soon to be considered “athletic”!!!!!! AND ………….. GUESS WHAT?!?!?!?! ………………… I managed to do my first ever set of “up on my toes push ups”!!!!!! No more girly knee ones, i’m taking my shoulders and chest to a whole other level!!!! Soooooooooooooo LISTEN UP ladies and gentlemen … HERE IT FROM ME … The Eat-Clean Diet works, it works so bloody well that to date i’ve lost a total of 47 pounds on this bad boy lifestyle change in only 11 months!!!!! I have spent years and years trying to loose just ONE pound but with the E-CD i have lost 47 pounds in 11 friggen months!!!! So people DO NOT GIVE UP!!!! You CAN do this!!! You WILL do this!!! You MUST do this!!!! P.S Tosca your my friggen hero … so much so I have a photo frame with you in it!!! hahaha!!! Yes I just admitted that …
7 hours ago | By onemadmaz
Week 4 Almost done, I have never felt better! With week 4 on stripped almost complete, I am down 9 lbs so far and 10 inches! Wow I did not think the weight would come off so fast! I have been holding onto these last 10 lbs for the past 8 years and I get it off in 4 weeks! Crazy! I have also noticed my cellulite on my legs is about 75% gone. I am for sure eating clean for life. Tomorrow I am off to get my stretch marks on my tummy lasered, and my next goal- turning my now flat stomach into a 6 pack! Never thought I could be capable of that one. I have been very loyal to Apple Cider Vinegar three times a day, I think that has helped me a lot. I have not followed the work outs in the book- I have continued my normal gym work outs- 2 boot camps, 2 power yoga classes and a pilates class per week. I am looking forward to Thursday to find out my final weigh in!!!
11 hours ago | By BCGirl
More Stories Become a member of The Eat-Clean Dietยฎ Community!